Thursday, September 11, 2008

A love haiku

I was sitting at dinner with the family tonight and the majority of the kids were complaining about the stir fry. I decided to change the subject, so of course I brought up haikus. McKenna, amazingly, had just written a couple of haikus in her creative writing class this week. (No kidding!) So McKenna and I composed a haiku together over dinner.

Anda tuned out and focused on the vegetable complaints, but McKenna and I persevered to the end.McKenna thought the last line was about kids, so when she heard the word kiss she renounced the entire haiku. But I wanted to share it with you, my blog-reading buddies, as a tribute to my beloved wife.

Water in a lake
Still as death, now rolls to life
Mirroring our kiss.

For those of you who are confused about my fascination with the haiku, let me give you a little background. A haiku is a Japanese poem of 3 lines. There are 5 syllables in the first and last lines and 7 in the middle one. A haiku usually describes a common scene in nature and never rhymes.

The above haiku describes a calm moment at the lake where the perfectly still water is shaken by the passion of a lovers' kiss between my wife and I as we stand together on the dock. Beautiful scene, isn't it? Don't you wish you lived on Lake Como like us?

2 comments:

Kendra said...

R - am I crazy or do I even remember you making up haikus when we were in high school?!? Just felt oddly familiar . . .

Your haiku (and the very familiar visual of a group of family members not real pleased with a meal choice) made me smile and chuckle.

Blessings -

Trisha said...

Yes, Randy, you are the haiku king. Someday youcould have a beautiful book published with Anda's beautiful photos and your poetic words. Hmmm...

Sweet that you can have romantic moments with your wife at your lake! Just as it should be!