Saturday, September 6, 2008

some tough questions

As i was praying this a.m. I was thinking about several of the tough questions that arise when you start thinking about this whole birth control issue. One huge one, esp. in America, is the issue of financial provision. The verse that "Judy" always points out when that comes up is Psalm 27:35 - "I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread." But what about all the suffering children that have been born into REALLY crummy circumstances (and we know several)? I even read recently that Mother Theresa actually taught natural family planning to people on the streets of Calcutta because she had seen too many children dying. I also remember that when we first started hanging out in Como several years ago there was a family with four kids and their lives were TERRIBLE. When I found out that the mother was pregnant again, I remember telling Randy that she was a good argument for birth control. But I guess the next questions becomes, would the world have been better off if these children had never existed? Were any of our Mighty Men born in less than ideal circumstances? Yes. But how are these guys going to change the world? And which one do I wish had been "controlled" and never born? There was a guy from Africa that spoke at our church several months ago. He was thrown in the trash twice as an infant because they thought he was too sickly and not worth caring for. An aunt finally got him out and now he's being used POWERFULLY in the kingdom of God. But the justice issue is tough - we can't even bear to ponder the situations of SO many kids that we're around all the time.
Another question is about the mom's health - that's one of those things that I think everyone has to hear God on because there really are some situations in which it really would be life-threatening for a woman to get pregnant again.
There are probably others. I was just thinking that I didn't want to ignore the fact that, like anything, it's not perfectly "cut and dried."

I feel like this got kind of heavy! :) I promise to post something a little more light-hearted and tonight! It shouldn't be hard with this crew!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

definitely good questions. they go along with things like "why do some women try for years and never get pregnant and 12 year olds get pregnant or some women have 10 abortions and still get pregnant again?". I think Gods plan on those things is so far beyond our understanding thats its futile to try and figure it out. Its hard to aruge that a baby left in the trash to die is better off than if he/she'd never been conceived but WE know that HE knows. Its still LIFE and life is a gift from God. Also......(sorry to be long, its your blog not mine!) .... not using birth control and "trusting God with your family" is ideal between a MARRIED man and woman who love and seek Him and His will. Outiside of his will for marriage and family and faith, its irrelevant if its right or wrong. If you arent walking with Him, you are already living outside of His will - in my opinion. not that you asked ;) just something ive thought about as we walk through the same journey. I had a health issue with my second that the Dr said Id have again with future pregnancies and my family members thought I should not have any more - but we knew God wanted us to and I havent had one, single issue since then. He is faithful!!! He prepares us each time, mentally and physically. We could never regret having another!