Wednesday, September 17, 2008

too tired to blog, but maybe just a little...

Well, just wanted to let you all know that I'm still alive (barely). Just Kidding! I'm just so darn exhausted from this crazy carpet thing! I feel like we just moved. But I've got a large pile of stuff by my front door that will be leaving my house on Friday (garage sale and various others who will be the happy recipients of my JUNK) and I hope to eventually go through ALL the piles of paper that have been calling my name for months now.

Here's my latest thoughts about quiet time with Jesus. I suppose I grew up hearing about it a lot, but I never really had one. All my attempts were weak and short-lived until we moved to the metroplex and started hearing Jamey Miller talk about the importance of quiet time - MAYBE he's gone one week in a sermon without mentioning it, but I wonder.... Anyway, it has become a regular part of Randy's and my discipline, but has been pretty flat lately. I'm in this Bible study for women on Monday nights right now and this week's topic was quiet time. I confess that I was having a bunch of stupid and arrogant thoughts about how I didn't need to hear about it from some random lady on a video. I've got this thing down, right? Have mercy on me, O God, a sinner! :) Here are some random things that were said by women in my church or on the video Monday p.m. "If you knew God was really in the next room, would you waste any time in going in there to see Him?" Then why do we come up with all these excuses about being too tired or not having time - those things would seem irrelevant if we knew that God in the flesh was in the next room. Another thing that struck me was the speaker's point that the whole purpose of your quiet time is to see Jesus. Memorizing scripture, reading your Bible, prayer, etc. are all good but are pretty irrelevant if you don't connect with Him. She used the analogy of looking through a telescope. What's the point of looking through one if you don't see the stars? Likewise, what's the point of reading the Word of God if, at the end, you haven't seen Jesus? Again, these are things that we all know are true, but as I've really meditated on how I treat other appointments (i.e. if I have a date scheduled with my husband, I'm not dragging my feet and dreading it when it's time to go!) and how I view my "appointment" every a.m. with Jesus, I've been disappointed with what I see! Is this God's fault? Obviously not. What I'm seeing is that the reason we don't desire Him more is because we don't know who or what we're missing. He is infinitely more satisfying and beautiful and delicious and glorious and wonderful and encouraging and joyful than any person on the planet EVER! When I'm seeing Him as He really is, life just seems to be "as it should be". Oh God, take this weak faith and breath your life into it!

1 comment:

Jana said...

Thanks for the insight, Anda. I need word pictures--Jesus, in the flesh, in the next room, the telescope, etc.

I have not disciplined myself to daily time alone with Jesus. This will help me. It's not rocket science, is it?

You are His delight.

Love you,
Jana