Monday, September 29, 2008

Branching out

So I was thinking about another haiku, but thought, "Why not get adventurous?" The picture my wife inserted below notwithstanding, in general I have been fairly conservative in my blogging. So tonight, I'm branching out. I'm going to attemp a Septolet. A septolet, you ask, "What is that?" Well, I'll tell you:
The Septolet is a poem consisting of seven lines containing fourteen words with a break in between the two parts. Both parts deal with the same thought and create a picture.

So here goes. My first ever attempt at a Septolet:

Buzzing
Fiercly biting
Causing itchy pain

Mosquito armies
attack relentlessly;
my porch
the battleground.

And now, my own invention, a monolet:

Was that a racoon that just ran across my driveway or are the rats getting bigger?

5 comments:

Rachel said...

hahaha! this made me laugh since Ive seen those racoon-sized rats here at our "new" house......how'd they walk all the way here from New York City? i thought that was the only place that had rats so gigantic. yuck!

Trisha said...

You teach me many things, brother. Appreciation for fine poetry notwithstanding...

I am looking for an interesting picture of your wife and didn't see one. Did I miss it?

Charlotte said...

I'm speechless.

Kendra said...

Ah - mazing. I just want to know if you learned that in med school, high school English, or did McKenna teach you? And I hope it was a racoon. Much cuter a racoon.

Randy said...

Trisha,
I was referring to the picture Anda had put in of me with my underpants slightly exposed. Maybe adventurous wasn't exactly the right word.