Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Balance

I find the concept of balance to be quite elusive. Jesus did it perfectly, of course, but I don't think his life had the appearance of balance to most outsiders. Once His family tried to come and take him back home, but they couldn't get to him because the house he was in was crammed full of people. At other times His mass of followers wanted to make him their king, but he kept slipping away into solitude.

I'm afraid I tend to do the opposite. I often let the lure of my friends and family pull me away from the hurting, and I let the draw of the masses keep me so busy that I lose sight of God.

So how do I find balance? I hear God. I tune my heart to the sound of Holy Spirit and I let Him move me however he wants. It's hard. I don't feel like I'm doing so well at it right now. When God tells me to slow down and be with him and I start feeling bored, I know I am not right. When I get too busy to sit down with Jesus and hang out with Him in the morning, I know I'm off track. And when I just want to ignore the plight of the people around me and watch TV or read a book I know I've lost my bearings.
I've been praying that God will humble me so I can move in his rhythm.

1 comment: