Thursday, June 11, 2009

perseverance

Can I just say that I feel like I'm in the middle of a marathon, but the truth is that I'm not in the middle of it - I'm at the very beginning!?  Six children is a lot - and we're not even to seven yet.  And in spite of the fact that I know without a shadow of a doubt that we're supposed to leave the "final number" in God's hands, I still can't go there in my head on most days.  Yesterday I decided that it was time to stop making excuses and take all six kids to the mall to go shopping for some much needed clothing.  I was ready to kill myself by the end of that trip.  Okay, I'm exaggerating.  But good night!  I think it took us 15 minutes just to get loaded up in the car.  It took something like 5 hours just to eat lunch in the food court (okay, I confess I am again exaggerating, but it felt like 5 hours).  I then had to return a couple of things to Dillards, which took much too long (could people not HEAR us?).  By the time we made it to Old Navy, Malachi and Isaac were bickering in the double stroller and Malachi just kept screaming (it was WAY past naptime after the 5 hour lunch).  I just inched the stroller along, with McKenna trying to bribe people with candy, grabbing 2 for $10 shirts and hoping they would fit.  I don't know how many questions I answered and how many complaints I heard.  And did I mention that people stare at us a lot?  I'd like to think it's my stunning beauty and sexy legs (if you could see my legs right now, this would REALLY make you laugh - pasty white with large purple explosions everywhere like a 90 year old granny - not attractive), but I think it may have more to do with the fact that I'm walking around with 6 precious little blessings and I'm clearly having another one!  We're like a moving circus!  And really no one was misbehaving (at least not dramatically)!  All I can say is that I'm not taking everyone to the mall again for at least 8 years.  Okay, maybe never.
I was praying this morning about persevering with joy and I just had to tell God that He HAS to do this work in me.  I mean, some people have a tendency to stick it out to the bitter end even in their flesh.  I don't even have THIS going for me!  My default is to quit when it gets hard - Randy keeps telling me I can't.  Okay, but would an occasional trip to Jamaica be out of the question? I think Jesus is the ONLY hope!!  :)  :)

7 comments:

Kendra said...

I was looking forward to coming home from our vacation to check and see what the "status" was on the trip with with MM . . really knowing that God had the details taken care of, but wanting to see how He did it. Praise Him! I, for one, did giggle out loud at your description of your mall experience . . .I could picture it in my head beautifully, and wish I could have been there to help push, entertain, and pick out shirts. Hey - I still have our "day date" on the calendar . . .and have some thoughts, so we'll talk soon, friend. Love you

Charlotte said...

Anda Brown, you make me smile. I think "purple explosions" was a little over the top, but the fact that Jesus is our only hope is right on! :)

Randy said...

No,no,my sweet friend, Charlotte - I am quite certain that they look like purple explosions. Candice actually told me yesterday that when I was pregnant with Moriah and she didn't know me very well, she was wondering if Randy was beating me. Yeah, they're purple explosions...

Rachel said...

people totally stare at me and I "only" have 4 and am not pregnant - i can only imagine how they stare at you! ive been on those hellish outings and its so hard....Im in a similar place right now, overwhelmed and need a completely overhaul from Jesus! We really cant quit - and there is ALWAYS enough grace!!!! love you!

Cynthia said...

I laughed out loud at this post. I can't imagine taking 6 to the mall, I can barely get out of the house these days with 3!!

I have so enjoyed a peek into your world from your blog - it is a blessing to read about your life!

Erin said...

Anda, I'm sitting at the computer after a long day, got a head cold, want my mom kind of day and so happy to have stumbled onto your blog...refreshing, challenging and absolutely hilarious...
we love your family...Ian popped in while I was reading and said, "oh, the brownies...they're so cute"
I'll check the blog and be praying for the mighty men in uganda and the mighty mama in como...

Jenn said...

okay anda, i am COMPLETELY enjoying reading your thoughts and stories. i went to "our" mall (the wal-marts) the other day with the kids i was telling you about and my kids plus two of mckenna's friends. we didn't get looked at all. so i could hardly relate to your story. (i am so kidding) i think you all get looked at so much because you are entirely patient with all of your kids and you all are so good looking. :o)