Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Football

So I'm coaching for the Como Lions, as Luke and Josiah play on their respective teams. I love it. It's bringing back memories of my glory days playing high school football. But I have to say, I'm not a very good coach yet. The truth is, I haven't watched much football on TV in the past 15 years. My boys haven't watched a full game of football at our house on TV more than once or twice in their lives. We just don't watch TV much. So the second day of practice I walked up to hear some coaches arguing about which wide receiver was the greatest. I had never heard of either one of the choices. Suddenly, one of them turned to me and said, "What do you think Coach Brown?" I thought about mentioning Lynn Swann or Drew Pearson, but instead I just said something like, "I'm not sure which one is better. That's a tough call."
I don't think I fooled them.
This us Luke's first season to play, and he and Josiah have both done a great job. It's like learning a completely new vocabulary in a different dialect. Words like dive, and sweep, and pitch had no meaning to Luke before we started. He's learning fast, but his lack of knowledge is a bit glaring. One of the coaches finally said, "He doesn't watch much football does he?" I had to confess at that point. I'd like to invite anybody reading this who has cable and a big screen TV who happens to live near Como to invite me and the boys over to watch a few games this season.
Randy

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Just let your mom read this post. I had to laugh. She will be teaching the boys about football in no time. I was listening to a conversation she recently had with Mitch because he is going to be second quarterback on his team this year and they were on the phone and she was talking about this and that and I was laughing because she knew so much about football. She can tell you the players and the plays and she will shout at the tv like nobodys bussiness. She knows postions and plays and she would have told those two men which one was better. She makes me laugh. She doesn't go to talk at a game. She goes to watch and cheer and scream. It is the funniest thing because she will be in the den watching a game and then you hear her clapping and jumping because one of her boys (cowboys) made a touchdown. She would make a great coach. She may cry when she reads your boys have never watched a game all the way through.

The Wardlaw's said...

My wife rushed this to me to read... I think I can help you. My favorite sports team plays 16 regular season games a year. I intend to see them all. You and your boys have a standing invite to watch the Cowboys play and I'll even do a play by play break down for their enrichment. Blue, white, and silver attire is encouraged. A Pearson jersey would be a bonus... and it shows your age!

Jenn said...

randy, you really, really, REALLY need to talk to ira.