Friday, May 8, 2009

Some Random pics and my husband, the preacher

D'Leeland and his buddy, Webster came by to show off the horses. There are so many entertaining things about our neighborhood - bet you didn't know there are some stables! My kids were terrified of the horses! :)
my little Moriah - she loves posing!
Don't let him fool you. He looks like he's cleaning up, but his main goal in life is to destroy!


If you had asked me 10 years ago if I thought RB would be teaching/preaching, I probably would have said no. I love God. He works through the things in which we find ourselves weak and then HE gets lots of glory. (He will also be preaching again in church on May 31st!). My husband really has turned into this amazing teacher (it is definitely one of his spiritual gifts) and I was amazed again last p.m. at his wisdom and insight. He was asked to teach at our CORE training school last p.m. about the poor, injustice, and racism. I was humbled by the message and my eyes were opened in a fresh way to the Word of God again. I'm sure this is going to be one of those multiple day posts, but I just have to share some of the things that he did because it was so powerful. I was totally convicted - again. He began by talking about how in our culture we have compartamentalized (SPELLING??) loving the poor and made it something optional (much like sharing the gospel, but that's a post for another day - how have we convinced ourselves that that is not for everyone? that it's okay if we rarely, if ever, tell people about Jesus?). He made the analogy that if you came in to see him as a doctor, he wouldn't tell you to digest your food or to grow hair. That's a natural part of what your body does and if it's not doing that, then you are sick and need healing - there is definitely something wrong. So it is with loving the poor. Loving the poor characterizes your life if you're a follower of Jesus. It doesn't save you, but it's one of the fundamental proofs that transformation has taken place. It was NEVER addressed in the Word as something optional or as an "add-on". It is pretty central from Genesis to Revelation. Something about seeing all the following scriptures together last night (and there are MANY more that he did not mention) did something to my heart and opened my eyes to things I'd never noticed before. First, he went through several scriptures that talk about people who do NOT love the poor. His stated goal last p.m. was that he would make everyone "greedy" to love the poor because of the great blessing that comes from it. Keep that in mind as you read the first set of scriptures (the next ones I'll put on here are the ones about people who DO love the poor and what God promises). I'm going to type them out and then I'll write more later. I've got my sweet little people running around and need to get off this computer!

**Jeremiah 5:27-29 - "Like cages full of birds, their houses are full of deceit; they have become rich and powerful and have grown fat and sleek. Their evil deeds have no limit; they do not plead the case of the faterhless to win it, they do not defend the rights of the poor. Should I not punish them for this?" declares the Lord. "Should I not avenge myself on such a nation as this?" [interesting to note here that they weren't oppressing the poor; they were apparently just ignoring them - the description of this nation sounds uncomfortably familiar - youch!]
**Jeremiah 22:15-17 - [This was said to Jehoahaz, son of Josiah] "Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar? Did not your father have food and drink? He did what was right and just, so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" [I didn't even know Josiah took care of the poor]
**Ezekial 16:49 - [Why did God destroy Sodom?] "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."
**James 5:1-5 - Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming upon you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. Look! The wages you failed to pay the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. [RB pointed out here that the day of slaughter sounds like it's for them - they have made themselves fat and they themselves are the cattle that get slaughtered]
**Luke 18:24 - Jesus looked at him and said, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!"
**I John 3:17 - If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?
**Luke 11:39-41 - Then the Lord said to him, "Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also? But give what is inside the dish to the poor, and everything will be clean for you." [WHAT? I had NEVER noticed THIS before!! Jesus' solution to getting rid of their wickedness was to give their greed (become generous) to the poor! Giving to the poor was the starting place!]

I'll continue later! I need to say that there's lots of grace, but I also believe that this is something that God is really wanting us to get. RB said last p.m. that this is not something he wants to add to anyone's "to do" list; he needs to become part of our "to BE" list! And all of it is ABSOLUTELY impossible without the life of the Spirit living through us. This is really comforting because I can speak from LOTS of experience in trying to do it in my flesh - it DOESN'T work!!

No comments: