Thursday, February 5, 2009

lighter note?

I could write pages again about injustice and the poor, etc. but I told my husband it was about time for another entertaining haiku to lighten things up a bit - he has failed to come through, so I thought a couple of fun kid stories would do.
Let's start with my baby boy's first birthday. Malachi turned one yesterday! When McKenna turned one, we had just moved to Tyler, TX for residency and knew no one except Randy's sister and her husband. We invited the entire first year class of residents and their spouses over for a hamburger cookout. We figured it was a good way to get to know them? My brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and both sets of grandparents were also there. The theme of the party was watermelons. McKenna wore a cute watermelon dress and I made a lovely cake decorated to look like a watermelon. I also made a Martha Stewart sherbert cake that looked like a watermelon when you cut into it. Yeah...it was CRAZY! Josiah wasn't a lot better. Then came poor Lukey. My grandfather had just passed away and so we were in Midland. I went to the grocery store, bought an Elmo cake and a balloon, and celebrated with McKenna, Josiah, Randy and my parents. Fast forward to yesterday. I was looking at my calendar while Malachi was eating breakfast and saw the words "MALACHI IS ONE!" I gasped and immediately told my sweet baby boy Happy Birthday. Hey, at least I wrote it on my calendar - I would've remembered, eventually! We're actually celebrating his birthday with my parents next weekend, but it is amazing how perspective changes from one child to six! :)
Tonight I was bathing Malachi and Isaac and left Isaac in the tub while I went clear across the house to Malachi's room to dress him. I hear Isaac running through the house calling me. I let him know where I am and he runs in, buck naked, and proudly makes this announcement: "Mom! I just tooted in the bath tub unduh(er) the watuh(er) and it made a sound!" He wasn't done with his bath - just had to let me in on his latest accomplishment.
Back to Malachi. Since I didn't blog on his birthday, I just want to list a few things that I love about him. I love his sweet little smile and how he giggles when I kiss his large belly. I love that he is all BOY and growls, grunts, and hits/throws things. I love his cute little walk and that he has discovered climbing this week! I love how he gets really excited when his Daddy arrives home. I love that he can hang out in his high chair for a ridiculously long time because he's so entertained by all the "goings-on" around him - he's a pretty easy-going baby. I love that he is alive and that God knew we needed him long before I did. I can still remember everything about the night I found out I was pregnant with him. I kept saying "I can't be pregant, I can't be pregnant." The next morning I had a long conversation with Jesus on the porch of my mother-in-law's cottage at the lake house. It was a sweet conversation. I'm so thankful for his life. So is everyone in our family!
It's late, but I'll try and post a couple of Malachi pics tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about birthdays! Luke (during "good news" time) quoted all the birthdays in your family for the month of February. Just let him know your need and he'll keep you updated on any upcoming bdays. JK...Life is crazy and we just do our best!