Monday, February 23, 2009

Daisy?!!!!


I'm pretty sure I could do some scientific study on how I've lost a large percentage of my brain cells since having children, but why waste time? The fact that I'm even considering what I'm considering right now proves without a shadow of a doubt that at least 73.8% of them have completely disappeared. But let's back up....We live in the "hood", right? I suppose there are some things to fear in our neighborhood, but my #1 fear is the dogs. Lots of stray dogs. Chihuahuas. Rottweilers. German shepherds. Retrievers. Mutt after mutt after mutt who include some combination of the aforementioned. And the infamous hood-dweller, the PIT BULL!

Fast forward to today - I started this post yesterday when I was actually considering taking in this stray mutt (which I'm guessing had some pit in her) because my kids were so in love with her. Our dog, Gracie, who weighs about 12 pounds and is a "designer" mutt, given to my daughter by her Grandma, got out on Sunday and tried to show this large dog who was boss. We were certain she was running to her death, but Daisy (yes, we named her) was actually scared of our vicious lap dog. I couldn't help it, I could see her ribs. Yes, I fed her. She was a little skittish around us for about 30 minutes and then she acted like she belonged to us. Very sweet dog. However, she weighed...well, I don't know how much, but it was a lot. When she got up on her hind legs she put her paws on my chest. She was really cute, but she had large jaws. I bought a lease and collar for her yesterday and she chewed right through the nylon leash. She wouldn't leave my front porch and so every time I went outside I had to keep her out of my house, while trying to get my baby and other kids where they needed to be. She was very strong. In fact, today she finally pushed her way into the house and I almost couldn't get her out. She REALLY liked us. We're just not big dog people - they take more work if you've got young children. But tell that to my sweet kids who kept BEGGING and BEGGING and CRYING and CRYING, trying to convince me that we could train her not to jump and chew, etc. etc. The city pound never showed up to pick her up today after I called and when I called again, they informed me that there were 350+ calls pending! So we took her to the humane society tonight. McKenna went to bed crying. Josiah cried for over an hour. He made me the saddest. He doesn't usually get so emotional about these things. But I'm seeing that he's a boy who wants a big "manly" dog. :) Luke was happy as a lark and wondering why everyone was so distressed. He hates big dogs and she scared him the whole time she was here. Moriah went into these wailing laments several times today as she thought about Daisy leaving. She has always had quite a command over large dogs and really enjoys them - fits her. Sigh. I know we did the right thing, but this mama sure felt like the bad guy tonight. If you're interested, she'll hopefully be up for adoption at the Humane Society on Lancaster within the next week. She has to pass the aggression test for adults, children, and other animals. I could have told them that she passed all those already - we covered all the bases here at the Brown house!

3 comments:

Kendra said...

I woulda done the same thing . . .without hesitation. But that sure is a cute little face on that doggie!! Poor little kiddos of yours . . I bet they will be better soon!

Trisha said...

Aww.. Definitely did the right thing, but I feel your pain. I hate saying no to my kids (as evidenced by the puppy who has now taken over my home:) Isn't it a good thing they're so resilient?

BTW, Hotel for Dogs is a very sweet movie that your kids would love. Sad, because it deals with orphans, etc. But definitely a dog-lover movie.

Rachel said...

awwwwh. thats so hard! i would have done the same thing too though, i def see pit! and you dont know what she's been through :(