Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ol' Red

I've named my plunger. I don't know when we first got him, but he's been with us most of 15 years I'm sure. I didn't feel the need to name him until recently, but we've become pretty close lately. Once relegated to the garage, he now enjoys a special spot right outside the back door, kept warm on those cool evenings by the dryer vent. I keep him there because I got tired of walking to the garage every other night when the toilet stopped up. Maybe it's only 2-3 times per week, but it's still way too often for a toilet to stop up.
Call a plumber, you say? Oh, I have. I've called several. I keep the names of 4-5 plumbers in my cell phone. But most of the time Ol' Red does the trick for me. Just a few plunges and the clogs usually vanish--for a day or two.
Once I took the toilet out and looked to see what the problem was. On this family blog I feel it would be inappropriate to describe what I found, but after cleaning it out and putting the toilet back in place, I was hopeful that the problem was solved. Alas, it was not to be. I bought a 25 foot toilet snake thing that you hook to the end of a drill. I only used it once. Now I just go to the back porch, pick up Ol' Red and get the job done.
In fact, I've even trained Josiah to use Ol' Red. He is able to clear all but the most stubborn of clogs, though lately I've noticed he always seems to be busy with his homework when I call for his help.
Well, that's probably more than you wanted to know about our family life today.
Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

we have that problem here too. although I havent named the plunger... that would be weird ;).

April Cogburn said...

Only my brother would name his plunger.