Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"A New Species"


The first gift I opened from my husband on Christmas a.m. was a print of a butterfly sketch by an artist that RB found on the internet. Most people don't know the significance of the chlorinda butterfly and it's very long story, but I'll summarize it by saying that a few years ago God gave me a new name. Chlorinda is the name of a rare Australian butterfly and so the butterfly in general has become a symbol of new identity in Christ. The name of this sketch is "A New Species" and my husband wrote a poem to go with it. It made me cry. I'll write more about his incredible man later today (because it's our 15th anniversary!!), but for now I'll just let you read his poetry. The artist actually read it and wants to include it with her sketch!
A New Species

There is in man a strong desire to name a thing unknown;
To wrap his mind around the infinite, and say, “My own.”
But there are creatures in this world who simply can’t be named.
No title fits. No words describe. Their spirits can’t be tamed.

N ‘er Latin nor another tongue can give my love her due;
The species which she represents is altogether new.
With rainbow sounds and colors loud she sings a song divine;
I dance in ecstasy and praise her Maker’s sweet design.

Emerging from her chrysalis she bursts with life anew,
A mystery of grace and beauty rivaled by but few,
Her glory blinds my eyes; my feeble tongue must beg for words.
Her crystal eyes, they sparkle like a million Waterfords.

I’m filled with longing to describe so beautiful a thing,
No artist’s palate can create the colors of your wing.
No orator can tell the story of your perfect form;
So delicate, yet dangerous. A living lightening storm.

Such power, cased in loveliness; anomalous and rare.
It’s my delight. Obessed. Compelled. And fixated, I stare.
Chlorinda? Yes, but even more. This species is divine.
Exquisite. Stunning. Glorious. And altogether mine.

No comments: