Saturday, August 30, 2008

Our neighbor, Ms. Murray

Had kind of a "down" day today. Not sure why. Really tired and a little overwhelmed with all the little things that need to be happening for school to start smoothly. And one of those days (and there are many) when I just didn't feel like I was walking all that much by the Spirit and that I could have done a MUCH better job at this thing called mothering. So I set out a few pounds of ground beef to thaw (not even really sure what I was going to do with it), and a few minutes later my 85-year-old neighbor, Ms.Murray showed up at my door with her famous beans, cornbread, salad, and homemade pound cake! Just because. I could have just cried and jumped up and down and kissed her! :) It was a sweet moment for my heart because I felt like God had showed up at my door (truth is, He had), letting me know that He is near and He cares and I'm still His beloved daughter. I aspire to be like Ms. Murray - now AND when I'm 85!

What's funny is that last p.m., I found McKenna sitting at her desk at midnight writing a poem. It was about Ms. Murray and I've copied it here because it's just wonderful, of course! :)

The Gift

I once had a person
Who came into my life.
And from what I can see
She would never cause strife.

She lives beside me
In a big yellow mansion.
And while she is at it
She takes care of her great-great grandson.

She smiles all day long.
I’ve never seen her frown.
She even gives a content look
When her limousine breaks down.

She loves to collect turtles;
She’s got nearly a hundred!
But losing her most special one
Is one thing she does dread.

On some days she takes food
To those who are in need.
She even, on my birthday,
Gives a special gift to me.

This neighbor is Miss Murry
And she really isn’t poor
Even though it may look like it
When you walk up to her door.

But really, my Miss Murry,
Is the richest person I know.
Once you walk through that front door,
Her entire house will glow.

I love, love, love Miss Murry
And there’s nothing else to say.
But I know God’s love and happiness
Are in Miss Murry to stay.

She truly is a gift from God
I’ll even say it again-
She’ll truly be a gift from God
Until her last breath ends.

-McKenna Brown

4 comments:

Rachel said...

oh my goodness, she is too precious....mckenna AND Ms. Murray. What a blessing they both are.

April Cogburn said...

McKenna is quite the talented poet!

By the way, I have my own blog too.

Cheryl said...

Hey, I can comment on this one!!! I always enjoy your posts Anda ( I read the Brown family blog too) but I can't comment on that one to let you know.
I'll keep checking in here and will enjoy keeping up with you. What a gift to have a Ms Murray in your life.
Blessings on you as your serve your family!

Charlotte said...

I love this poem McKenna! And I love YOU.